Monday, June 19, 2017

Join our VILLAGE of Supporters as we build the Academy for Independent Living






Preparing Students with Autism for a Purposeful Life.

Did you know?

  • It costs more than $8,600 extra per year to educate a student with autism.
  • Autism services cost U.S. citizens $236-262 billion annually.
  • A majority of costs in the U.S. are in adult services – $175-196 billion, compared to $61-66 billion for children.
  • Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention. 
  • The U.S. cost of autism over the lifespan is between $1.4 million (no intellectual disability) and $2.4 million (with an intellectual disability).
  • 35 percent of young adults (ages 19-23) with autism have not had a job or received postgraduate education after leaving high school. 
  • In June 2014, only 19.3 percent of people with disabilities in the U.S. were  working or seeking work. Of those, 12.9 percent were unemployed, meaning only 16.8 percent of the population with disabilities was employed. (By contrast, 69.3 percent of people without disabilities were in the labor force, and 65 percent of the population without disabilities was employed.) 
~ Autism Speaks

For Volusia County Residents that means:

·         2013 population in Volusia County estimates that there are 5,691 people with Autism currently residing in our county (based on census and application of 1:88* CDC statistic).  * Recently lowered to 1:68
·         Given the data on the expense, 55% of those (having an Intellectual disability) would have a lifetime cost $2.4 million, or $ 7.5 billion dollars; while the other 45% (not having ID) would cost $3.5 billion dollars; A total of 11 Billion dollars in expenses for Volusia Residents.
·         Current statistics anticipate that about 4,553  (or roughly 80% of  5,691) will file for Social Security Disability at 18 and not pursue employment or higher education.
·         Based on current SSI data, these 4,553 Volusia County residents will draw a MAXIMUM total of $3,994, 627 a month in SS income. ($877.40 each) In one year, this will total $ 47,935,524 from Social Security for Volusia County Residents with Autism.
·        Minimum figures on SSI indicates $2,918,473 a month or $35,021,676 annually. ($640.50 each)
·         Assuming a life-span of 78 years, this means these Volusia residents with Autism will drain between $2.1 and 2.9 Billion from Social Security.

With Effective Education & Preparation:

·         CDC statistics state that 45% of those with Autism have an average to above-average IQ.  This would mean that in Volusia County, 2,561 residents diagnosed with autism have an average IQ or higher. 
·        Using the CHASE Educational Model & our Academy for Independent Living, we are targeting a greater percentage of those with autism to pursue employment, possibly as much as the general population (70% as opposed to 19.3%). 
 ·         If so, an additional 1793 residence would contribute to the economy and NOT collect Social Security Income.   
·         This would save the county between $1,149,313 and $ 6,995,778 ANNUALLY.  (This doesn’t take into account what they would pay into this fund as working residence.)

Join our Village as we prepare our students for an adult life of independence and purpose.

Sponsorship Flyer for the Academy of Independent Living

No comments:

Post a Comment